Rihoy & Son is one of Guernsey’s longest-established building contractors. We employ more than 200 staff and are involved in all types of projects, from small contracts to many of the island’s most prestigious developments.
When you join our team you’ll benefit from job stability, career progression, a competitive remuneration package and the opportunity to gain experience on a wide variety of sites.
As a Ground Worker, you will manage all elements of groundworks on projects of both a domestic and commercial scale. You will carry out a variety of skilled tasks whilst liaising with the Site Engineer, Site Managers, Structural Engineer and other operatives.
- Manage all elements of groundworks and substructures inclusive of drainage, reinforced concrete, brick paving, slabbing, block work, mains services installations, septic and cesspit installations and all foundation types.
- Carry out skilled tasks such as installation of steel reinforcement, construction of both modular and built manholes and laying to all types of brick paving.
- Coordination of works on site, such as prioritising tasks alongside review of contract programmes with the Site Manager and Project Manager.
- Production of short-term target programmes for groundworks elements, whilst monitoring attendance and performance of other operatives against the programme.
- Allocation of daily responsibilities and tasks for operatives.
- Ensure health and safety standards are maintained at all times and risk controls as outlined in risk assessments and method statements are being adhered to.
- Completion of administrative documents such as daily diary, as accurate record of works completed, and materials utilised.
- Ensure labour resource is adequate to meet the requirements of the programme, whilst also planning and order materials for each task in good time.
- Supervise the use and maintain plant and equipment inspection records on a daily basis and ensure they are issued to the office weekly. Where service action is required ensure this is completed.
- Report on progress to Senior Management and identify additional labour and material requirements.
Experience & Qualities
- Have advanced knowledge of all elements of groundworks, hard finishes, substructures and foundation types inclusive of construction processes and terminology.
- Knowledge of construction materials, plant and equipment relative to excavations, foundations and groundworks.
- Good organisational and leadership skills.
- Good communication skills being able to coordinate with both Senior Management and Site Operatives.
- Advanced understanding of foundation design and reinforced concrete design, being able to interpret plans and construct to their requirements.
- Advanced understanding of underground foul and surface water drainage designs, relevant building regulations and manhole and inspection chamber design.
- Advanced understanding of concrete curing and finishing techniques.
- A broad experience and knowledge of paving patterns and techniques for all types of brick and slab paving.
- Perform physical duties that require considerable fitness such as climbing ladders, manual handling, operation of vehicles, use of cutting equipment.
Hours - Full time, 39 hours per week